Saturday, May 07, 2011

A Low-Carb "Aha" Moment

One of the blogs I follow is that of Dr. Michael Eades, one of the authors of "Protein Power". That was the low-carb diet I used back in 1999 to drop 25 lbs to get close to my ideal weight. His post yesterday talks a bit about Gary Taubes' new book, "Why We Get Fat". He talks about insulin resistance in the article, and that would appear to be a lot of what WWGF is about as well.
I used to wonder how it was that I could eat a very full low-carb meal, and still be hungry within an hour. Now I have my answer. To get the longer version, read Dr. Mike's post, or better yet, Gary's book, but I guess we could describe the problem as differential insulin resistance. My liver is more insulin resistant than my fat cells. So when my blood sugar starts to drop, there is still too much insulin in my bloodstream to allow fat to be released from my fat cells to feed me. So, even with a winter's storehouse of extra fat, I am hungry.

No comments: