Sunday, May 29, 2005

Revenge of the Sith. No spoilers here, unless you have been living in a hole for the last 20 years. Just voicing a complaint. Is it only crappy acting (Hayden "I can only make this single facial expression" Christensen)? Anakin's "love" for Padme is about as convincing my 350-pound friend's resolve to eat better. Unfortunately, his supposed lust for power is equally unconvincing. He basically comes off as a moody teenager.

I don't know what Lucas was shooting for. I imagine he would like us to have felt a combination of horror, sympathy, and revulsion, as we watched Anakin go down the path to the dark side. Instead, I felt nothing but contempt. Anakin came off as the worst sort of adolescent. Constantly angsty. Complaining about lack of consistency and integrity in others, when he is showing exactly that lack. His actions which should have come off as a result of mind-wrecking worry and hubris just came off as the work of an overpowerful idiot.

No comments: